Federal Supreme Council
The Federal Supreme Council is the highest constitutional authority in the United Arab Emirates. It is also the highest legislative and executive authority that draws up general policies and approves various federal legislations.
Constitutional Organisation of Federal Supreme Council
Formation of Federal Supreme Council
The Federal Supreme Council consists of Rulers of the seven emirates constituting the federation or their deputies in their emirates in case of Ruler's absence or unavailability. Each emirate has one single vote in the council resolutions and deliberations.
Responsibilities of Federal Supreme Council
The Federal Supreme Council performs the responsibilities outlined below:
- Formulating the general policy on all matters concerning the Federation under the Constitution, and considering all matters that could lead to the achievement of the objectives of the Federation and the common interests of the member emirates.
- Endorsing the various Federal laws prior to their issuance, including laws of the annual general budget of the Federation and the closing accounts.
- Sanctioning the decrees on matters that by virtue of the provisions of the Constitution are subject to the ratification and approval of the Federal Supreme Council. Such sanctioning takes place prior to the issue of such decrees by the President of the council.
- Ratification of treaties and international agreements through decrees.
- Approving the appointment of the Prime Minister of the Federation, accepting his resignation, and requesting him to resign upon the suggestion of the President of the Federation.
- Approving the appointment of the President and the judges of the Supreme Federal Court, accepting their resignations, and dismissing them in the cases specified by the Constitution. Such actions are done by decrees.
- Supreme control over the affairs of the Federation in general.
- Any other relevant responsibilities stipulated in the Constitution or in the federal laws.
Mechanism of Federal Supreme Council Resolutions
Federal Supreme Council lays down its own regulations, including its procedure for conduct of business and the method for voting on its resolutions. The deliberations of the Council are kept confidential.
Federal Supreme Council establishes a general secretariat consisting of a sufficient number of officials to help it in performing its duties and functions.
Resolutions of the Federal Supreme Council on substantive matters are made by a majority of five of its members provided that such majority includes the vote of the emirates of Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Minority shall abide by the opinion of the aforesaid majority. However, resolutions of the Council on procedural matters shall be issued by a majority vote. Such matters are defined in the by-laws of the Council.
Federal Supreme Council holds its sessions in the capital of the federation; however, they can be held in any other place agreed beforehand.
His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan
His Highness Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan is the second President of the United Arab Emirates, which was established as a federation on the 2nd of December 1971. He is the sixteenth ruler of the emirate of Abu Dhabi, which is the largestRead more
His Highness Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum
H.H. Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum became the Ruler of Dubai on January 4th, 2006, following the death of Sheikh Maktoum bin Rashid Al Maktoum. Since becoming the Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE and Ruler of DubaiRead more
His Highness Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi
His Highness Sheikh Sultan bin Mohammed Al Qasimi, member of the Federal Supreme Council and Ruler of Sharjah was born on 2nd of July 1939, 14th Jumada-I 1358 Hijri, in Sharjah.Read more
His Highness Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuaimi
His Highness Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuami was born in 1931, and is the Ruler of the emirate of Ajman and a member of the UAE Supreme Council. As the 10th Ruler of emirate of Ajman, H.H. Sheikh Humaid bin Rashid Al Nuami succeeded his late fatherRead more
His Highness Sheikh Saud bin Rashid Al Mualla
His Highness Sheikh Saud bin Rashid Al Mualla was born on October 1st 1952. He became Ruler of the emirate of Umm Al Quwain and a member of the Supreme Council after the demise of his father Sheikh Rashid bin Ahmad Al Mualla on 2nd of January 2009Read more
His Highness Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi
His Highness Sheikh Saud bin Saqr Al Qasimi is the Ruler of the emirate of Ras Al Khaimah. His Highness received his early education in Ras Al Khaimah until he graduated from high school. He received his higher education in the US, where he joinedRead more
His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi
His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Mohammed Al Sharqi, is the Ruler of the emirate Fujairah and a member of the Supreme Council since 1974. His Highness was born on the 22nd of February 1949 in the emirate of Fujairah, where he completed his earlyRead more